This collection contains a 7x9 photograph of the Peniel High School Girl's Basketball Team, the Kittens, posing around a championship trophy. The photograph is dated March 18, 1933. Also included are two undated headshots of the same individual, one of a basketball player wearing a Penial Kittens sweatshirt and the other a formal yearbook photograph. The basketball headshot contains the following inscription: "Les ye forget- B. Almon (old cat) 1932-1933, Term at Peniel."
Peniel, Texas, was located north of Greenville, Texas, in Hunt County. The town developed around a small college, known first as Texas Holiness Universtity but later named Peniel College, founded in 1899. The first post office opened in 1901 and in 1902 the name officially became Peniel. Peniel College moved to Bethany, Oklahoma, in 1920 and would eventually become Southern Nazarene University. The relocation of the college coupled with the Great Depression caused Peniel's population to dwindle. The town was incorporated in 1930 but in 1957, with a population of 157, the citizens voted to be annexed to Greenville.
Part of the Special Collections, Gee Library, Texas A&M University-Commerce Repository
Please cite as: Peniel High School Girl's Basketball Team Photographs, collection 2008.41, James G. Gee Library Special Collections, Texas A&M University-Commerce. http://archives.tamuc.edu/repositories/2/resources/36 Accessed September 20, 2017.
Special Collections Department
James G. Gee Library Texas A&M University-Commerce