The first public school in Commerce was a one-room frame school built in 1873. In 1884, it was replaced by a two-story building constructed on the site of the later A. L. Day School building, which replaced it in turn in 1936. Subsequent school buildings were constructed in 1910 (W. J. Wheeler School), 1913 (North Ward School), 1922 (Commerce Middle School), 1968 (Commerce High School, later repurposed as Commerce Middle School), 1991 (Commerce Elementary School), 2001 (Commerce High School), and 2009 (A. C. Williams Elementary School). The first public school for African Americans in Commerce opened around 1897, and the public schools in the city were desegregated in 1965.
Originally interfiled with the other materials from the ETNC and W.L. Mayo Artificial Collection (2008.197), which have been removed into seven separate collections: the Mayo Family Collection (2008.197-A), East Texas Normal College Collection (2008.197-B), East Texas State Normal College Collection (2008.197-C), East Texas State Teachers College Collection (2008.197-D), East Texas State University History Collection (2008.197-E), Mayo Memorial Collection (2008.197-F), and Northeast Texas Church History Collection (2008.197-G).
Part of the Special Collections, Gee Library, Texas A&M University-Commerce Repository
Please cite as: Commerce Independent School District Collection, collection 2008.197-H, James G. Gee Library Special Collections, Texas A&M University-Commerce http://archives.tamuc.edu/repositories/2/resources/97 Accessed September 24, 2017.
Special Collections Department
James G. Gee Library Texas A&M University-Commerce