Biographical / Historical
The Texas State-Supported Colleges Council of Presidents was a committee composed by the presidents, and at various times also the deans, business managers, and other various officials, of numerous (but not all) state-supported colleges and universities in Texas. During the timespan represented by these records, from 1926 to 1948, it consisted of the following institutions: the College of Industrial Arts / Texas State College for Women in Denton, East Texas State Teachers College in Commerce, John Tarleton Agricultural College in Stephenville, North Texas Agricultural College in Arlington, North Texas State Teachers College in Denton, Sam Houston State Teachers College in Huntsville, Southwest Texas State Teachers College in San Marcos, Stephen F. Austin State Teachers College in Nacogdoches, Sul Ross State Teachers College in Alpine, Texas Agricultural and Mechanical College in College Station, the Texas College of Arts and Industries in Kingsville, Texas State School / College of Mines and Metallurgy in El Paso, Texas Technological College in Lubbock, the University of Texas in Austin, and West Texas State Teachers College in Canyon. Noted long-serving presidents on the Council included: A. W. Birdwell (Stephen F. Austin), E. E. Davis (Dean of North Texas Agricultural), J. Thomas Davis (Dean of John Tarleton Agricultural), H. F. Estill (Sam Houston State), C. E. Evans (Southwest Texas State), J. A. Hill (West Texas State), L. H. Hubbard (College of Industrial Arts), W. J. McConnell (North Texas State), H. W. Morelock (Sul Ross), T. O. Walton (Texas Agricultural and Mechanical), Sam H. Whitley (East Texas State), and D. A. Wiggins (Mines and Metallurgy).