Bruening Family Materials
Scope and Contents
The Bruening Family Materials consists of photographic materials and printed materials related to naval service in the 1940s. The majority of the materials are related to the eldest brother, Private Edward J. Bruening. The collection does not include correspondence from either of the brothers or family members.
Series I. Biographical Materials (1940-45) contains materials related to the life of Private Edward J. Bruening during the early 1940s including two scrapbooks. One scrapbook contains primarily photographs during his training at Maxwell Field and one scrapbook contains primarily photographs from a road trip to Yellowstone National Park. Materials related to Lieutenant (jg) Raymond Henry Bruening include scans of his discharge from service forms and identification cards.
Series II. Printed Materials (n.d., 1943, 1953-61) contains brochures, pamphlets and aircraft identification materials printed by the United States Navy.
Series III. Textile Materials (ca. 1940) includes souvenir silk pillow covers, a service stars flag, and a San Diego Navy banner or flag.
- 1940-1961, inclusive
- Bruening, Raymond Henry (Attributed name, Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Items in this collection are protected by applicable copyright laws.
Biographical / Historical
Private Edward J. Bruening (d. 1942) was from Cleveland, Ohio and served in the United States Army Air Corps. Pvt. EJB trained at Maxwell Field in Alabama and graduated in August 1941 from the United States Army Air Corps Technical School, Air Corps Panama. He was MIA or KIA before December 1942. Pvt. EJB’s name is included on the West Coast Memorial to the Missing in San Francisco. Lieutenant Junior Grade Raymond Henry Bruening, the younger brother of EJB, was born 26 August 1917 in Cleveland, Ohio and served in the United States Navy. Lt (jg) RHB was active 10 December 1943 to 21 December 1945 as an Electrician’s Mate and Qualified Fireman First Class. He received the Victory Medal for his service in World War II.
1 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
- Maxwell Field (Ala.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Scrapbooks. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Navy. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- World War, 1914-1918 Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- World War, 1939-1945 Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Yellowstone National Park. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Bruening Family Materials
- Shanna Strunk
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note