Skip to main content

Office of the President: Dr. D. Whitney Halladay Papers

 Collection
Identifier: 2008.087

Scope and Contents

This collection contains the professional office papers of Dr. D Whitney Halladay during his time as President of East Texas State University from 1966-1972. The papers include correspondence, faculty and staff papers, policies and procedures, governing documents, items related to professional organizations, photographs, and other documents.

The collection is arranged in alphabetical order by topic or subject. Each series is labeled with a letter that matches the first letter of the title of each folder.

The final series includes the papers surrounding the inauguration of Halladay, including committee papers, letters to dignitaries attending the inauguration, letters of congratulations, and planning documents from other colleges and universities.

Dates

  • 1931 - 1974
  • Majority of material found within 1966 - 1972

Conditions Governing Use

Items in this collection are protected by applicable copyright laws.

Biographical / Historical

Daniel Whitney Halladay was born in Santa Ana, California on October 13, 1920. He received a Bachelor of Arts degree in social and biological sciences from Pomona College in California in 1942 and a Master of Arts in education from Claremont Graduate School in 1947. He later received a Ph.D from Columbia University in 1955, with an emphasis in Administration of higher education student personnel services.

During World War II, Halladay served in the Army as a captain and rifle company commander with the 83rd Infantry Division. For his service, he was awarded the Silver Star, Bronze Star with two oak leaf clusters, Commendation Medal, Purple Heart with oak leaf cluster, and Combat Infantryman's Badge. He was called back into service during the Korean War, where he was promoted to Major. He was assigned to Fort Benning, Georgia, where he led a research unit on leadership and military psychology.

Between the wars, Halladay worked as an associate professor of Health and Physical Education at the University of Florida. He was assistant to the provost of the Teachers College at Columbia University, while pursuing his Ph.D., before joining the staff at the University of Arkansas in 1955. At that institution, Halladay rose to be the Dean of Students, professor of education, and chairman of the graduate program in student personnel administration.

In 1966, Halladay was named the sixth President of East Texas State University. Halladay faced many changes during his tenure, including college social movements and the continuing process of desegregating the university. He instituted a $16 million building program for the campus that included the new President's Home, Business Administration building, Journalism Building, Whitley Hall, and an addition to the Library. Other changes included the establishment of a separate Board of Regents, the opening of ETSU at Texarkana, reinstating the doctoral program and strengthening the graduate program, creating the Division of Continuing Education and the College of Business Administration, and hiring the first Black faculty member for the university.

Halladay resigned from his position in 1972 to accept the position of President of the newly created Texas A&I University at Corpus Christi. In 1977, he became the chancellor of the University System of South Texas. Dr. D. Whitney Halladay passed away on July 13, 1980 in Greenwood, Mississippi while visiting family.

Extent

18 Linear Feet (18 records boxes)

Language of Materials

English

Arrangement

Folders are arranged alphabetically by subject.

Custodial History

Materials were transferred from the Office of the President after the end of President Halladay's tenure in 1972.

Related Materials

Office of the President: James G. Gee Papers

Title
Office of the President: Dr. D. Whitney Halladay Papers
Author
Sawyer Magnus
Date
7-27-22
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin

Repository Details

Part of the University Archives, Special Collections, Waters Library, Texas A&M University-Commerce Repository